The Tangelo Park Program is a positive model for other communities and demonstrates that assistance to high-risk youth can yield a very attractive, long-term return on investment for society through educational gains, lower crime rates, and community empowerment.
The 2-3-and-4-Year-Old Program is the building block for the Rosen Foundation Scholarship.
Our preschool results in lasting life quality improvements. The earlier a child begins an educational journey, the greater his or her achievements. Families of children who experience preschool clearly have a better life quality compared to children who do not. For disadvantaged children, early childhood education helps compensate for the hardships in the family and educational inequalities.
Children who attend the 2-3-and 4-Year-Old Program enter pre-k and kindergarten with skills and learning that allows them to learn more skills.
- Preschool beginning at age 2 through 4 years old
- The majority of 2-year-old program students enter elementary school on or above track
- Similar to Head Start in emphasis
- More diverse student population than previous years (Low-income African American/Hispanic urban population)
- The total cost is roughly $8,500 per child ($120 per week 52 weeks per child)
- No cost to Tangelo Park and Parramore residents
- A 7:1 benefit-cost ratio implies an annual benefit of $1.75 million
- Much of this benefit goes to children who leave Tangelo Park
- Lance Lochner’s ROI study: https://economics.uwo.ca/people/lochner_docs/measuringtheimpacts_dec10.pdf
- Heckman The economics of human potential: https://heckmanequation.org/resource/perry-preschool-midlife-toolkit/
- Preschool Fadeout is a Myth: https://heckmanequation.org/resource/fadeout-toolkit/
- Tangelo Park Program Presentation
Harris Rosen understands the connection between education and economic mobility.
Today, the Rosen Foundation serves as a safety net, distributing fewer scholarships because Tangelo Park students now earn financial support from other sources—a direct result of their improved academic achievement.
- Mobility rates decreased from an average of 32% during the first five years to 12% in subsequent years
- High school grade point averages are predicted to approach 3.0 in the coming years
- 77% of Tangelo students who go on to four-year schools (either directly or through community college) complete their degree, exceeding the national average
- 83% who go to graduate school complete their degree programs
- 83% of the High School graduates who enter vocational programs complete their programs
- 32% of students who enter community college complete their Associate Degree, exceeding the national average
According to Fastweb, LLC:
- High school graduates earn $430k more over their lifetime than high school dropouts
- An Associate’s degree is worth $390k more than a high school diploma
- A Bachelor’s degree is worth $1.2 million more than a high school diploma
- A Doctorate (Ph.D.) is worth $1.7 million more than a Bachelor’s degree
- A Professional (law or medical) is worth $2.9 million more than a Bachelor’s degree
- Tangelo Park Program Presentation
Community and Society Benefits
The Tangelo Park Program has energized the community and promoted replication.
The program’s successes are due to the community agencies that work together, developing partnerships outside the community, and working towards the same common goal in an enduring partnership that has lasted for over two decades.
- Reduced Crime
- Compared with the surrounding area, crime declined dramatically in Tangelo Park: 78%
- Estimates suggested declines in auto theft, burglary, and assault
- Annual community benefits from reduced crime amount to roughly $250,000
- Increased Real Estate Values
- Students graduate debt-free
- Multigenerational outcomes
- Program Replication
- Parramore/Orlando, Florida (Rosen Foundation)
- Eatonville, Florida (Travel + Leisure Charitable Foundation)
Replicate Our Programs
The Tangelo Park Program has been replicated by Harris Rosen in the Parramore neighborhood in downtown Orlando, Florida; Eatonville, Florida by the Travel + Leisure Company Charitable Foundation, in Orlando, Florida. Other towns and cities have replicated parts of the program.
The Tangelo Park Program Executive Team provides technical assistance and guidance to replicate the Rosen Foundation programs.
Why replicate the Tangelo Park Program?
Our program proclaims a:
- Strong theory of change to benefit a community’s future
- Concept already established—over two decades of experience
- Structure for encouraging outcomes
Our team offers a:
- Support system offered by experienced experts
- Data system that tracks key performance
- Established and prioritized intervention components
- Suggested curricula, tools, and evaluation plans
- Technical assistance to guide replication
To help replicate our success, please contact:
7600 International Drive
Orlando, FL 32819